Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Homemade Christmas

I am organizing the creative activities in my MOPS group this year. I was asked to blog about Gifts for our girlfriends, rather then bring everything made to show all the ladies. I couldn't be happer! It's going to be fun doing a treasure hunt online for some pictures of the ideas I already have in my head!

I've really been thinking a lot about Christmas, and what it means to me and what I want my kids to get out of it. What I feel God has really been laying on my heart is that it really IS all about HIS Son coming to earth. It is His birthday, afterall. So I'm trying to get my kids away from the "give me this, give me that" mindset, and more into the serve others mindset that I believe God wants us all to have.

This year, we've talked to the kids about the gifts that Jesus was given on His birthday by the three wisemen. We are really going to try and stick to the "three gifts" idea. We also are going to be catching each other being Christlike to each other and write it down, read it on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, and give our servant gifts to the King. (A great idea I heard about from someone who made that MOPS meeting, where they talked about Advent, that I missed.)

But we all have some special friends that we would love to give gifts to, I'm sure. I certainly love giving and getting gifts. I've tried to be more thoughtful, as I was preparing this list. Here goes!

So here are some ideas for some homemade gifts that you can make for your girlfriends:

Homemade Christmas Gifts for Girlfriends




1) A Coupon Book ~ Coupons could include babysitting-- for a night for her and her hubby to go out on a date! Time together is SO important to build healthy marriages, and keep the romance alive! Wouldn't you love to help your friend out? Consider the fact of how much going out costs anymore, and know that offering your babysitting services would be a HUGE blessing!

Another coupon could be for a girls night out, just the two of you! Dinner and a movie. Or mani pedis! :)



2) CHOCOLATE!!! I saw this awesome idea from non other than Martha Stewart. (shocker, I know) This year I'm lovin' the idea of making chocolate pretzel bark! So easy and you can dress it up or keep it completely simple. And it's SO yummy with a cup of coffee! Package it in a clear celophane bag and tie it off with some homespun ribbon, or sparkly curlies!



3) If your friend loves to cook, make her some flavored olive oil! I saw this neat idea in my All You Magazine...to really dress it up, make your own pretty corks, by drilling a hole in the top of a cork and putting a beautifully designed ceramic knob. So cute!




4) If your friend LOVES bags, (like I do), make her a personalized bag. You could go all out and actually sew a bag, but I LOVE the idea of getting a canvas bag. I've found them as cheap as $.25 in a thrift store, and that was BRAND NEW! Take the canvas bag and but a cute iron on, you can find super cute ones on etsy.com, or go to Michael's and shop their selection. Iron it onto a piece of coordinating fabric and then iron it onto the bag. You can even do a little detailing and sew around the edges.

I love that last picture "filled with joy." Aren't we? What a neat way to share God's love, during this crazy time, filled with hustle and bustle. Also a great reminder to ourselves..( I did mention I LOVE BAGS?!?!) Make yourself a cute reminder of the King's love, Joy and Peace at Christmas time and always!







5) Another idea that I like, that is personalized for your friend, is a dry erase board. Find an inexpensive frame at Walmart, or Goodwill, or Dollar Tree, and some pretty scrapbook paper. Hobby Lobby or Michaels are good places to get paper by the sheet. Or you could make something up in Microsoft Word. Look under clip art. Does your friend have a rooster themed kitchen? Make her a rooster themed dry erase board! Although, that will be more cartoony then soft, and pretty. OR take notebook paper and make a lined board! Insert scrapbook paper the size of the picture and WALA! you have a personalized homemade dry erase board. Use paper that coordinates with a room you think she would use it in her house. Or paper that is specific to her likes. Don't forget the dry erase marker, you can get an entire pack of 3 or 4 at the Dollar Tree for... $1.00!!

Make it as simple or as complex as you want. Just make sure you're not taking on more then you can handle during this busy time. Remember to take time to celebrate the TRUE meaning of CHRISTmas and show your children what giving is all about!

Love you ladies! Can't wait till our next craft!!
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment